UPHOLLAND A row of brightly painted houses on Parliament Street.
UPHOLLAND. A row of cottages in School Lane
A lone kayaker enjoys the tranquility of the Leeds and Liverpool canal at Gathurst.
The Bird  i'th Hand pub is on the left of this row of cottages in Gathurst Road, just before the  steep decent to the Leeds and Liverpool canal at Gathurst. Known locally as "the Bird" Has a delightful beer garden at the rear.
A 1970's picture of Wigan as thousands of Inter-city rail travellers saw it. it shows the Parish church (1) and over to the left is Coop and Co's. clothing factory (2). opened in 1872. Just to the left of Coop's is the Star Printing works (3), and left past this and just out of sight in Dorning Street is Uncle Joe's Toffee Works, take a deep sniff, can you smell it on the wind? - they must be making Winter Nips today.
The JJB Stadium, home ground of Wigan R L Club and Wigan Athletic soccer club.
Another historical plaque, this one is attached to the Parish Church tower, on the side nearest the small gate into Hallgate
It commemerates the defence of the town during the English Civil war by 86 Royalist sharpshooter from the top of the tower on 1st. April 1643, when the town was overrun by Parliamentary forces from Bolton. Wigan was the Northern Headquarters of the Royalists under Lord Derby. Hence it's "Ancient and Loyal" town motto.
In the Middle Ages, Wigan was the mustering point for the Lancashire archers,  who gathered here before setting off for France, and the campaign that was to culminate with the stunning victory at Agincourt.
Bishopgate off Hallgate, the old court buildings. the large plain red brick building on the right is the Telephone Exchange, a plaque over it's main entrance states that it stands on the site of Walmesley House, where, on the march back to Scotland, after his defeat at Derby  in 1745, Bonnie Prince Charlie, lodged over night, and where, on the very next night, the King's son, the Duke of Cumberland, in hot pursuit of the rebels, used the same lodgings.
A Summer picture of the park.
Mesnes Park, Wigan
The small black and white building in the centre is Poole's Cafe in Wallgate, (starred) something exiled Wiganer's love to see as they arrive back at Wigan North West railway station, from which this picture was taken.
Sadly this icon of Wigan life - with all it's old world atmosphere - has now closed, and been replaced by a modern counterpart in Market Street.  To the right of the cafe is the Victoria Hotel.



This picture of an ice bound canal at the old Wigan Pier warehouses, was taken in the '70's before the site was reborn as the Way We Were Exhibition, and  Wigan Pier visitors centre. The actual site of Wigan
Pier is opposite the buildings on the left. (Starred)
">
">
">
">
This picture of an ice bound canal at the old Wigan Pier warehouses, was taken in the '70's before the site was reborn as the Way We Were Exhibition, and  Wigan Pier visitors centre. The actual site of Wigan
Pier is opposite the buildings on the left. (Starred)
">
">
">
">
Wigan Photo Album Page 4
   Colour photos and comments by Jim Farrell



The small black and white building in the centre is Poole's Cafe in Wallgate, (starred) something exiled Wiganer's love to see as they arrive back at Wigan North West railway station, from which this picture was taken.
Sadly this icon of Wigan life - with all it's old world atmosphere - has now closed, and been replaced by a modern counterpart in Market Street.  To the right of the cafe is the Victoria Hotel.
Mesnes Park, Wigan
A Summer picture of the park.
Bishopgate off Hallgate, the old court buildings. the large plain red brick building on the right is the Telephone Exchange, a plaque over it's main entrance states that it stands on the site of Walmesley House, where, on the march back to Scotland, after his defeat at Derby  in 1745, Bonnie Prince Charlie, lodged over night, and where, on the very next night, the King's son, the Duke of Cumberland, in hot pursuit of the rebels, used the same lodgings.
Another historical plaque, this one is attached to the Parish Church tower, on the side nearest the small gate into Hallgate
It commemerates the defence of the town during the English Civil war by 86 Royalist sharpshooter from the top of the tower on 1st. April 1643, when the town was overrun by Parliamentary forces from Bolton. Wigan was the Northern Headquarters of the Royalists under Lord Derby. Hence it's "Ancient and Loyal" town motto.
In the Middle Ages, Wigan was the mustering point for the Lancashire archers,  who gathered here before setting off for France, and the campaign that was to culminate with the stunning victory at Agincourt.
The Robin Park retail park at Newtown.with the JJB Stadium through the gap.
The JJB Stadium, home ground of Wigan R L Club and Wigan Athletic soccer club.
A 1970's picture of Wigan as thousands of Inter-city rail travellers saw it. it shows the Parish church (1) and over to the left is Coop and Co's. clothing factory (2). opened in 1872. Just to the left of Coop's is the Star Printing works (3), and left past this and just out of sight in Dorning Street is Uncle Joe's Toffee Works, take a deep sniff, can you smell it on the wind? - they must be making Winter Nips today.
Wigan Parish Church
1
2
3
Kitt Green church walking day .
This picture shows the tradition of giving money to friends and relatives who walked.
Walking with the banner is a special honour.
City Road, Kitt Green.
The annual Church Walking Day is an important part of Lancashire church life.
The Latham House in Latham Lane, Kitt Green.
Named after Latham House besiged in the English Civil War. Pub is extreme left.
On the Wigan map of 1849 when there are hardly any houses shown in Kitt Green, the Miners Arms features. Situated in City Road Kitt Green. See map at bottom of the page.
Years ago, because the pub has no cellar, beer was dispensed from jugs, lot's of older local people remember having their beer served in this way.
The Bird  i'th Hand pub is on the left of this row of cottages in Gathurst Road, just before the  steep decent to the Leeds and Liverpool canal at Gathurst. Known locally as "the Bird" Has a delightful beer garden at the rear.
The Old Springs pub Kitt Green, right next to the entrance to the H. J. Heinz & Co. Ltd. factory, seen below. Has a bowling green and is a popular venue for local church and pub bowling teams, who play matches there.
Named after the number of beneficial springs discovered in the area.
Wigan could rightly be called the baked beans capital of Britain, for at the H J. Heinz factory in Kitt Green, this much loved snack of the British people is produced along with many other Heinz products. Heinz came to Wigan in 1948 when they rented a factory at Standish, as they outgrew this, they invested £7.000.000 in a new factory, on a green field site at Kitt Green, in 1956. It is the biggest food producing plant in Europe, and the Commonwealth.
Recently the factory gained national media coverage when it's product technicians gave the definitive  way to make the perfect "beans on toast".
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
Local Pubs
A lone kayaker enjoys the tranquility of the Leeds and Liverpool canal at Gathurst.
This view of the lock keeper's cottage at Gathurst,  spans three centuries of transport. The 20th century M6 motorway soars over the 19th century railway line, ( which is on the left ) running alongside the 18th century Leeds and Liverpool Canal .
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
UPHOLLAND. A row of cottages in School Lane
UPHOLLAND A row of brightly painted houses on Parliament Street.
">
">
">
">
Two British Icons. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott who designed the famous red telephone box, seen here  along with a post box at Rivington village, also designed the Wigan War Memorial, and Liverpool Cathedral.

Map of Kitt Green - Wigan - 1849
The Miners Arms ( starred ) is dead centre, with City Road running top to bottom at the side of it. An old railway once ran down it from Pemberton, carrying coal from the Pemberton colleries to the canalised Douglas at Crook. and later the Leeds to Liverpool Canal.
Stone cottages.in Spring Road, Kitt Green, Orrell.
Their tiny front gardens always alive with colour,
whatever the season.